Physiotherapy will likely be a big part of ACL tear recovery. An ACL tear results from sudden movements, and the exercises and therapies that comprise ACL physiotherapy help with healing and preventing future injury. Here are six ways physiotherapy helps your ACL rehab process in Brampton:
- Pain control: ACL tears benefit from pain medication. You will receive prescriptions whether you receive surgery or require only conservative treatment. However, other techniques can also help control pain and reduce swelling. Physiotherapists teach you how to ice better so your knee stops swelling. TENS is also effective for controlling pain—the electrodes disrupt the nerves so your pain signals are reduced. Also, as the exercises stretch muscles and expand range of motion, you will feel less pain.
- Increase mobility: Serious ACL tears require a brace, and you will likely require crutches for a while. In your appointment, you learn how to use them properly so you do not cause further injury or risk falls. As you wean off crutches and other mobility devices, your physiotherapist teaches you how to walk normally again and gain strength in the injured knee.
- Strengthen muscles: Injuries like ACL tears limit movement and discourage you from walking or stretching. This reduces muscle mass and strength, and can hinder your recovery. Your quadriceps (the muscle on the top of your thigh) especially stop working properly, and you can lose control of that muscle. You will learn how to safely perform straight leg raises to increase strength, and therapists may use electrical stimulation like NMES or Russian stimulation. Your therapist will also encourage exercises for your hamstrings and hip muscles.
- Improve balance: Many ACL injuries result from sudden movements and lost balance. After you injure a knee, your balance becomes further compromised. Your exercises will also include balance work so you can regain it, as well as improve balance so you are less likely to injure your knee again in the future. Physiotherapists will show you how to use a wobble board or BAPS board to help you regain body awareness and normal proprioception.
- Enhance range of motion: Just as an ACL injury will reduce strength, it will also affect range of motion. This often makes the injury more painful, since even normal movement becomes impossible. Swelling in your knee also limits range of motion. Exercises like prone hang will increase mobility and can also be performed at home. You will need to take this part of your therapy seriously, as reduced range of motion makes it difficult to regain your balance and mobility.
- Learn plyometrics: This therapy applies to those patients who are playing high-level sports. Basketball and soccer often cause ACL injuries due to jumps and sudden sideways motions. Plyometrics teach you better ways to jump and land so you do not fear injuring your knee again. It also help sideways movement, which also enhances your confidence.
Paramount Physiotherapy & Sport Injuries Clinic offers complete ACL physiotherapy in Brampton. Our physiotherapy approach makes your ACL rehab go smoothly and helps you heal quicker. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and learn more about ACL tear recovery.
Categorised in: ACL Injuries